4/3、M4/3 討論區
頁數: 1共 4 回應
上個主題 :: 下個主題  
作者 訊息

littlegorgor

註冊: 2007-03-11

上載我的肖像
題目newbie buying camera, what to buy?     Post time: 1 月 2 日

I'm looking for a new camera for my trip to Italy in 2 weeks, any good recommendation? I'm interested in those smaller camera with interchangeable lens, but I don't know alot about it.
some recommended panasonic, olympics while my cousin recommend sony nex6

we will mainly use if for travelling and taking indoor photos with friends, so we probably won't buy alots of lens (around 1-2). We would like the lens with wider aperture (so no need flash in low light setting). My cousin recommend 18-200mm? my budget is around 10000 la.. many thanks.

terleung

註冊: 2007-03-28

上載我的肖像
題目Re: newbie buying camera, what to buy?     Post time: 1 月 3 日

I recommend the M4/3 system (Olympus and Panasonic) for the following reasons:

1. M4/3 has the a complete range of lenses and accessories as it is the first mirrorless system being developed.

2. M4/3 bodies are generally smaller and lighter, and most importantly the lenses are also smaller. On the other hand the NEX bodies are small but the lenses are very big and much heavier than the body so it actual use the camera is not balanced. So what's the point of getting a mirrorless camera if the overall camera size is similar to an entry level DSLR or SLT (i.e. Pentax K30, Canon 1100D, Nikon D3200, SONY A35, etc.)

3. electronic viewfinder quality is very important, the SONY EVF is the best in terms of resolution but the Olympus EVF performs much better in low light

4. Some people may argue that high iso performance of M4/3 is not as good as the NEX but in fact many reviews show that new M4/3 models (OM-D, EP-L5) have very good high iso performance, at least as good as the NEX 7.

As for which specific model to buy, I would say that it really depends on your needs and expectations. There are a few things to consider:

1. Jpeg color - the Panasonic color is a bit bluish, I personally don't like it as it makes skin tone not very pleasant. Many people prefer the Olympus color as it is a bit warmer and more saturated but not overdone. The SONY color is famous for its high saturation and reddish tone. This is very subjective and personal, so you have to decide for yourself.

2. White balance accuracy - many new cameras can produce very good images in outdoor situations but in everyday use many photos are taken indoor with complicated, mixed lighting which really challenges the cameras. I don't have the latest cameras from Panasonic and SONY so I can't comment on their WB but I own an OM-D, all I can say is that it is one of the cameras that does a very good job in indoor WB.

3. Focus speed - from what I read, most new M4/3 and NEX models are quite fast in AF so not much to worry about but many reviews claim that the OM-D has the fastest AF in the current models.

4. LCD screen - generally all mid-high end mirrorless cameras have good quality LCD screen, mostly with tilt and flip functions which is very useful for Macro photos and high or low angle shots. On top of that, some models have touch screens so you can easily adjust settings or select focus point. The OM-D touch screen is very sensitive so it is a pleasure to use especially for focus point adjustment.

5. Shake reduction - Panasonic, like Canon, does not incorporate shake reduction in body, if you need shake reduction you have to use their lenses with Power OIS., Olympus has IBIS incorporated in all of their models and the OM-D has the unique 5-axis IBIS which is praised by many users, SONY also has their steadyshot built in their cameras. So, if you have the chance of using manual lenses or lenses without built in shake reduction, Olympus or SONY would be better choices.

6. Special features and movie quality - do you like art filters, do you do HDR, how about Panoramic photos, and do you care the movie quality? If you like art filters, Olympus has some really interesting art filters and the filter effects can be combined and applied in movie mode, if you like HDR and Panoramic photos the NEX is your choice. From my understanding, all mirrorless cameras can produce nice videos but the Pansonic GH series is famous for its video quality.

7. Camera build quality - I think most people would not use their mirrorless cameras in extreme environments but since these cameras are used casually, in everyday situation, if the camera build quality is good and reliable then photo taking becomes a more carefree and enjoyable experience. I think all of the high end models are welll built but the OM-D is so far the only weather sealed camera, many users have used it in heavy rain without problem so if you will use the camera in usch situations then OM-D is the one.

In conclusion, the latest mid-high end mirrorless cameras from Panasonic, Olympus, and SONY should be safe choices. Each camera has its own goods and bads, so there is no such thing as "the best camera". It is important to understand these things and your own needs in order to pick the most suitable one for yourself. To me at least the camera should enhance your photo taking experience and make your trip enjoyable instead of causing more troubles. As I mentioned above, I am an OM-D owner so my comments may not be 100% objective. But if you are interested in OM-D you are welcomed to ask me questions.
觀看用戶檔案 回覆 Back to top

terleung

註冊: 2007-03-28

上載我的肖像
題目Re: newbie buying camera, what to buy?     Post time: 1 月 3 日

By the way, there is a special promotion offered by Olympus (I don't remember the end date but I think it's still happening). If you buy EPL5 or OMD from authorized dealers, you can get a free pan cake lens (pan cake toy lens for EPL5, 17mm f2.8 for OM-D). The OMD offer is a much better deal as the toy lens is really bad. Check out the Olympus web site for details.

On another note, no matter which camera you buy I recommend you to buy the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for M4/3 or 8mm fisheye for NEX as it is a super fun lens (for fun big head shots and extreme close up shots) and very useful for grand architecture (i.e.cathedral).
觀看用戶檔案 回覆 Back to top

littlegorgor

註冊: 2007-03-11

上載我的肖像
題目Re: newbie buying camera, what to buy?     Post time: 1 月 4 日

thank you very much for the indepth and detailed recommendation, i appreciate it very much.

i just found out olympus OMD is voted as the no1 camera, but unfortunately the free pan cake lens promotion is sold out.

I think i will pass sony and focus on olympus or panasonic. maybe gf5 with twin lens.

thanks alot :>
觀看用戶檔案 回覆 Back to top

LowTEC

註冊: 2011-11-25

上載我的肖像
題目Re: newbie buying camera, what to buy?     Post time: 1 月 9 日

Excellent choice, and the fact that M4/3 system has the one of the best quality lens collection to choose from, I fail to understand any other choices if you value absolute sharpness in a photo :)

BTW, Sony has SteadyShot built in in their DSLR and SLT models ( I own one, collecting dust ever since I bought my OMD), but not in their mirriorless lineup. Plus, all their E-mount lenses are below average in image quality, even their best and most expensive Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is only "acceptable" compare to M4/3's lineup
觀看用戶檔案 回覆 Back to top

頁數: 1共 4 回應

討論區列表  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password: